Monday, November 4, 2013

Organic Buttermilk Pumpkin Banana Pancakes

Pumpkin Goodness in a Pancake


This is another one of my half invented recipes because I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I got a recipe for Pumpkin Banana Pancakes from the Natural Grocers, but upon closer inspection, it called for 6 eggs which seemed excessive, and no flour. I decided I was not that adventurous yet, but I liked the idea of Pumpkin Banana Pancakes, so I started looking at different recipes and kind of put a few together and then added my own substitutions. My family was brave enough to try my creation, and to my delight, they liked them. My husband said not to change anything. You can go to the recipes that I looked at here and here, and let me know your ideas. 


Ingredients:
1 1/2 Cups Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1/8 Tsp Nutmeg
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 Cups Buttermilk
1/2 Cup Pumpkin Puree
2 Eggs
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1/3 Cup Honey
1 Banana

Getting Ready 

  1. Put 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil in a small saucepan and simmer over a low heat. As soon as it is melted, turn off and let sit until you are ready to use. 
  2. Set out the eggs and pour the buttermilk into a measuring cup and let sit so they are not quite so cold. (The coconut oil will harden again if mixed with really cold ingredients.)
  3. Mash banana. I put it in a ziploc bag, sealed it, and mashed it up with my hands. Then, it's easy to pour out of the bag with no mess. 

Directions: 


  1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
  2. In another bowl, mix together the vanilla, buttermilk, pumpkin, eggs, coconut oil, honey and banana. 
  3. Combine all together in the first large bowl and stir well. It will be lumpy because of the banana. 
  4. Set your griddle to 350 F, or you can cook them in a skillet on the stove. 
  5. Optional - I like to put a little butter (organic, non hormone) on the griddle before I pour on the pancake batter. 
  6. Cook the first side until little bubbles form and the edges look cooked, then flip and brown the other side. 
  7. Enjoy with the topping of your choice. 

My sweet five year old likes to cut shapes in hers and put powdered sugar on them. She ate the first one so fast, I didn't get a picture of it (and not just because of the powdered sugar, I made a different recipe once with almond meal and she didn't like them even with the sugar).


No comments:

Post a Comment