Sunday, November 3, 2013

Organic Pumpkin Spice Muffins


Healthy Holiday Yumminess!


I got this recipe from Natural Grocers and I was so happy to have a healthy alternative to all of the not so healthy holiday pumpkin flavored goodies. I have only made them once and already have some variations that I want to try with them. 


This recipe calls for egg whites, which I haven't done in quite a while and am always slightly hesitant about, but they really weren't hard at all. So, if you're a little uncertain of the egg whites, know that you're not alone. And if you have an egg separator, it's really a breeze. Then, I scrambled the yolks and cooked them for my little girl so they weren't wasted.
                              

Ingredients:
1 3/4 Cups Whole Wheat Organic Pastry Flour
1 Tsp Aluminum Free Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
1 Tsp Organic Ground Cinnamon
3/4 Cup Organic Pumpkin Puree
2/3 Cup Organic Buttermilk
2 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil Melted
1/2 Cup Honey
2 Egg Whites

Getting Ready
  1. Put 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil in a small saucepan and simmer over a low heat. As soon as it is melted, turn off and let sit until you are ready to use. 
  2. Preheat oven to 400 F. 
  3. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper baking cups (or grease with coconut oil).
  4. Separate egg whites and beat lightly.
Directions:
  1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
  2. In another bowl, stir together the pumpkin, buttermilk, coconut oil, honey, and egg whites. 
  3. Combine all together in the large bowl.
  4. Divide batter equally among the 12 baking cups. 
  5. Bake for 20 minutes.  

Optional Glaze:

1 Cup Organic Powdered Sugar
2 Tbsp Orange Juice
1 Tsp Organic Pumpkin Puree 
1/2 Tsp Organic Cinnamon

Mix glaze ingredients together and smear onto tops of muffins with a spatula. 

Variations: 

I really think they could use 1 full cup of pumpkin and 3/4 cup honey, but I haven't made them like that yet and wanted to post it as is until I try it out. I also want to put in some dried cranberries and/or pecans or walnuts. And I wasn't sure til I made them if they could handle adding shredded zucchini to them, but I think they would be perfect with about 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup zucchini. 

Update: I made them with a whole zucchini (about 1 cup), one full cup of pumpkin, and 3/4 cup honey and everyone liked them. I also made the glaze to top them with. It's yummy. It is best to allow the muffins to cool before putting the glaze on them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment